65. Getting things out of the way

The excitement and inspiration of SXSW can be a catalyst. You might find that the stories that you hear, and the people that you see move you to try and create and innovate in your own lives.

You might find that there are tools that help you shift that innovation along. It's hard to find time around busy lives to do something really exciting. You may have found that the recommendation of coaches like Tony Robbins and his ideas will be thing that you can use.

Tony Robbins was recommended by Tim Ballard in his talk at The Line. If you weren't at the talk and you don't know about Tony Robbins you can read more about the ideas here and here and how I've decided to apply them here.

One of the obstacles you might find is unfinished projects that lurk, as stumbling blocks, distracting you from the big new things you want to do. This was certainly the case for me. I have had, at the back of my mind, for years, a concept for a TV drama set in a refugee camp. It's based on my own experience of 4 years working with refugees in Zaatari in Jordan.

The idea might seem crazy, but I believe it's a winner. Refugee camps are the cities of the future. They grow and develop at astonishing pace, and they are like an intense laboratory where people, ideas, and ideologies come crashing up against each other, reforming communities and economies. there is drama, tragedy, and even comedy.
I've been sitting on the idea for years, but since I returned from SXSW I've finished it, researched agents, and submitted it to Curtis Brown in London. The process is fascinating: how to summarise a TV series, how to make it a compelling pitch, how to choose an agent, and how to write an introduction that will intrigue them. Fortunately information about how to do all of those things is just a Google away

Box checked, onto the next thing. Wish me luck...

Comments

Popular Posts